Firearms Declaration

Hunters must declare firearms in writing to a customs officer at the point of entry to Canada. The declaration form should be filled out prior to arrival at the point of entry, in order to save time, however it should not be signed. The declaration should be signed in front of the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer at the point of entry, as the customs officer must witness the signature.

A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration. Once the CBSA customs officer has confirmed the declaration, it acts as a licence for the owner and it is valid for 60 days.

The Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form can be downloaded here:

 Please note that it is illegal to bring handguns into Canada.

 Canadian law states that you have to transport all firearms unloaded. If you are transporting them in a vehicle, they must be kept out of sight in a part of a vehicle that is kept locked (the trunk, if there is one), unless the vehicle is supervised by an adult. We recommend that you purchase and use trigger locks while your firearms are in transit.

Hunters are allowed to bring 200 rounds of ammunition into Canada duty free.

Muzzleloader hunters should be aware that commercial airlines do not allow you to fly with muzzleloader powder or primers. Make sure you plan ahead so that you have enough time to purchase the items you need at a sporting goods store in Canada or advise us of what you need so that we can arrange to purchase the primers and powder on your behalf.

Prior to leaving the United States we recommend that you stop in at the US Customs office, complete a US 4457 form and have it stamped by a customs agent, verifying the serial number on your firearm(s). This could be of assistance when dealing with the Canadian Border Services Agency, but more importantly, will be proof of ownership for US Customs when returning home.